Looking for the place to buy the best laverbread in the region? Then look no further, you found us!
A truly traditional Welsh delicacy, prepared by hand from our own Copper Bay Seafood team using our secret family recipe.
Penclawdd Laverbread is an edible seaweed that is celebrated widely around Wales. It is embedded in the Welsh culture and enjoyed as a traditional local cuisine.
Made from laver collected along the Welsh coastline, it has a smooth paste consistency and is often enjoyed as the main event on buttered toast.
However, if you’re feeling adventurous there are other ways to enjoy the Welsh delicacy.
Try our Penclawdd Laverbread and cockles breakfast recipe. (Serves 2)
- 110g Penclawdd Laverbread
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 25g oatmeal
- 4 rashers of smoked bacon
- 110g cockle meat
- 50g butter
- Pepper to season
- Grab a bowl and mix together oatmeal and Penclawdd Laverbread until well combined. Season with a pinch of pepper and set aside for later.
- In a pan heat half the butter until it begins to foam. Add in the diced shallot and fry until softened.
- Next, add in the cockle meat and continue to fry until heated through. Remove from the heat once finished.
- It’s now time to make the laverbread cakes. Tear of evenly sized sections of the laverbread mixture and roll into portions roughly the same size as a golf ball before flattening into small patties.
- Once the patties are made heat the remainder of the butter in a separate pan. Once foaming fry off the Laverbread patties. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, pop 4 rashers of smoked bacon into under a medium heat grill and cook until crisp.
- Serve the cockle meat evenly over the Laverbread patties and top with the crisp bacon rashers.
- Tuck in and enjoy the Welsh delight - the best start to any day!
All of our Copper Bay Seafood produce is carefully shipped in polystyrene boxes that is packed with ice.